I saw this tree on the Martha Stewart site and almost
immediately set to making it. I'm planning on doing a whole
landscape of recycled trees this year for a holiday display so
this fit the bill perfectly. I have a few tips for you if you decide
to make one as well.
* I made the polymer clay base exactly as the instructions and
it came out perfectly only I used a bamboo skewer instead of
a knitting needle for the support.
* I have a large paper cutter and I am *so* glad I did!
* Cut out all the newspaper ahead of time so you use the
same amount of each size.
* We used a small newspaper cone for the top instead of a
star since ours is just a regular tree in the woods
and not a Christmas tree.
* I used Elmer's spray adhesive for the glitter. The glitter is
actually small opalescent flakes - a brand new bag
that I got while thrifting, woot!
* It is surprisingly sturdy and I plan to keep if for next
year so we'll see if it stores well.
* My kids were very much involved and could easily do it
on their own but it does take awhile so you may want to
have them switch out if they get bored.