I saw this tree on the Martha Stewart site and almost immediately set to making it. I'm planning on doing a whole landscape of recycled trees this year for a holiday display so this fit the bill perfectly. I have a few tips for you if you decide to make one as well.
* I made the polymer clay base exactly as the instructions and it came out perfectly only I used a bamboo skewer instead of a knitting needle for the support.
* I have a large paper cutter and I am *so* glad I did!
* Cut out all the newspaper ahead of time so you use the same amount of each size.
* We used a small newspaper cone for the top instead of a star since ours is just a regular tree in the woods and not a Christmas tree ;)
* I used Elmer's spray adhesive for the glitter. The glitter is actually small opalescent flakes - a brand new bag that I got while thrifting, woot!
* It is surprisingly sturdy and I plan to keep if for next year so we'll see if it stores well.
* My kids were very much involved and could easily do it on their own but it does take awhile so you may want to have them switch out if they get bored.